Universities Ireland sponsored the first debate at Trinity College Dublin’s ‘The Hist’ in what was hoped would become a regular debate series in all Irish universities on aspects of the future of the island of Ireland. The title of this first debate was ‘What should Ireland look like in 20 years time?‘
The speakers were:
- Eamon Ryan TD, Irish Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources;
- Michelle Gildernew MP MLA, NI Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development;
- Basil McCrea, Unionist MLA for Lagan Valley ;
- Dr Stephen Kinsella, Lecturer in Economics at University of Limerick;
- and four Trinity College Dublin student speakers, Ursula Quill, Fintan Mallory, Emer Duffy and Barra Roantree.
The chair was Dr Eoin O’Malley, Lecturer in Political Science, Dublin City University.
Officers of the debating societies from University College Cork, Queen’s University Belfast, Dublin City University, National University of Ireland Maynooth, National University of Ireland Galway and University of Limerick were also present. Universities Ireland will sponsor other student debates in universities, north and south, on subjects relevant to the future of the island of Ireland. For further details contact the Secretary of Universities Ireland, Andy Pollak, at email@example.com.
|Date / Time||Event Details||Watch/Listen|