This was a two–year study aimed at researching the difficulties facing teachers and young children in areas of conflict and diversity on both sides of the border with a view to developing a framework to be used in all teacher education institutions, North and South, involved in preparing teachers to work with children in the early years (age 4-7).
The research study looked at the first two years of primary schooling in six selected schools in the North and six in the South and examined the following issues:
- The areas in which teachers felt they needed more professional training in dealing with conflict and promoting diversity
- The views and perceptions of the children on difference and diversity
- How the Early Years curriculum deals with diversity
- What approaches and methodologies are used to promote diversity through the curriculum
- What resources are available for its implementation
See the final report [1MB].